Formed in 2010, Blackhawk Mining, LLC embarked on a series of acquisitions to consolidate premium coal reserves in the Central Appalachian Basin. From its humble beginnings, the company reached nearly 14 million tons of coal production in 2017 before sharpening its focus on metallurgical coal. Met coal is an integral ingredient in the production of steel as it becomes the catalyst to the primary source of carbon in the steelmaking process.
In June 2020 Sev.en Global Investments acquired 100% share of Blackhawk Mining.
Sev.en Global Investments is a Czech based family office investment group that holds long-term investments across a range of sectors, particularly in the power generation and mining. The group operates in 3 continents, including Europe, Australia and the United States.
Today, Blackhawk is a regional leader in coal mining with worldwide marketing capabilities operating eight mining complexes in southern West Virginia and eastern Kentucky with approximately 2,000 employees.
STRONG CORPORATE GOVERNANCE CREATES STABILITY AND RELIABILITY
Blackhawk is led by a strong team of experienced professionals. Our CEO is a former attorney who has served as chairman of the West Virginia Coal Association and Kentucky Coal Association. Our five-member Board has an independent director and a chairman who is separate from the CEO – which are considered best practices for providing strategic oversight and an outside perspective to our business.
Our other corporate governance best practices include:
- The Board meets regularly to establish transparency between the company’s leaders and our investor.
- The company reports operating and financial results to our investor at each quarter end and delivers a third-party audit after each year.
- Blackhawk values the sanctity of human rights across the globe. At its core, Blackhawk seeks to improve the lives of our employees, our investor teams and those within the communities in which we serve.
- The Board reviews our corporate responsibility programs and commitments at least annually.
- Our operating agreement establishes protections against conflicts of interests, including restrictions on transactions with affiliates.
- We operate in an ethical manner with a high standard for morality, honesty and integrity with all our partners.